Monthly Archives: February 2018

Eligibility for Disability and Working

An applicant for disability benefits through the Social Security disability insurance (SSDI) or SSI programs must be making less than $1,180 per month (up from $1,170 per month in 2017) to qualify for benefits. (Blind applicants can make up to $1,970 per month). Anyone working above those limits is considered to be doing “substantial gainful activity” (SGA).

People who are currently receiving SSDI who attempt to return to work through a trial work program will have a month count as a trial work period month if they make more than $850 per month (up from $840 per month in 2017).

For people who are receiving SSI, the new federal income limit for SSI is $750 per month, but complicated rules govern what income is countable and what income is not. Over half of the income made by an SSI recipient is not counted toward the limit, so you can actually receive SSI until you make up to $1,584 per month (if you have no other income). However, any income received between $0 and $1,584 will reduce the monthly benefit. In some states that make extra payments to SSI recipients, the income limit for SSI recipients may be higher.

The income exclusion amount for students receiving SSI is now $1,820 per month (up to an annual limit of $7,350).

Getting a disability claim updated with new information

How do I find my disability claim to update it?

You cannot update you disability claim on your own. You must contact your representative or local Social Security office to provide them with the information you wished to be updated. You can also call the toll free Social Security number 1-800-772-1213 for some updates.

Non-medical information, particularly concerning income and/or assets should be reported to the Social Security office, specifically the claims representative, or CR, that took your claim.

However, if you want to update something medical (diagnoses, places and dates of treatment, etc), you should first try to contact the disability examiner working on your disability claim. The examiner is the individual who evaluates your medical evidence of record as well as your vocational work history to determine if you can be approved on the basis of a listing, approved through a medical vocational allowance, or if the claim must be denied.

After your claim evaluation has begun, in fact, most of the information you would need to pass on to the Social Security Administration would need to go the examiner assigned to your claim. If you are unable to reach them, contact your local Social Security office and they will get the information to them.